The eleventh British Journalism Awards will take place on the 15th December 2022 and once again celebrate the best public interest journalism produced for a UK audience. The event attracts entrants and attendees from every leading broadcaster, newspaper, magazine, online and business publisher in the country. Last year the British Journalism Awards attracted a record 900 entries and more than 500 attendees. This is the only major set of UK journalism awards which is open to all media and which has an emphasis on promoting public service.
The British Journalism Awards judges are chosen for their expertise and independence.
The awards are judged on the following criteria:
- Did the work have an impact? Did it make a difference?
- Did it bring important new public interest information to light?
- Did it show skill and rigour?
- Did it ultimately serve the public interest?
- Was it also interesting to the public?
Further information is available on how to enter each of the categories here.
- Qualification period for work: 1st September 2021 - 31st August 2021
- Entries open: 18th May 2022
- Entry deadline: 30th September 2022, 23:59 BST
- Judging days: 24th and 25th September 2022
- Shortlist announced: 27th October 2022
- Awards Ceremony: 15th December 2022
- National news organisation: £115 + 3.5% processing fee + VAT
- Regional news organisation: £80 + 3.5% processing fee + VAT
- Freelance journalists: £50 + 3.5% processing fee + VAT
- Marie Colvin category: Free to enter for everyone
The British Journalism Awards is waiving the entry fee under certain circumstances in order to encourage greater diversity amongst our finalists.
The fees will be waived if at least one of the below cases applies:
- I confirm that I am from a non-white ethnic minority and do not have an employer willing to underwrite my application.
- I confirm that I am a female and do not have an employer willing to underwrite my application.
- I confirm that I have a disability under the terms of the Equality Act 2010 and do not have an employer willing to underwrite my application.
For any questions regarding your entry, please contact the British Journalism Awards team via email.